Make your own hand-sanitizer…
Bottles of isopropyl alcohol have been a staple at every drugstore, pharmacy, and grocers since Victoria reigned the British Empire. Most of it is 70% alcohol (the other 30% is water). In the same locales, one can generally find 90% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol. Both are generally sold in pint (16 oz/0.47L) or quart (32 oz/0.95L) bottles, and cost $2–8. Either one is the crucial ingredient in making your own hand sanitizer—and it’s a lot cheaper than buying brand-name versions in tiny bottles.
You’ll want a small spray bottle (more than one is best, so you can keep them in many places around home, work, auto, etc.)
- 1 pint (16 oz) rubbing alcohol, 70% by volume
- 1 oz glycerin
- 0.5 oz skin-friendly oil (apricot kernel or sweet almond or your preference)
- 3-5 drops each of essential oils (not fragrance oil!)
lavender, spearmint, geranium, lemongrass, lemon, sweet orange
You may choose other essential oils for preference; in particular, lavender, rosemary, thyme, sage essential oils are all antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.
- Using a clear measuring container, first add the alcohol.
- Add the glycerin and stir with a stainless steel implement until completely transparent, with no cloudiness.
- Add the skin oil.
- Drip in the essential oils of your choice.
- Stir again until entirely mixed.
- Using a small funnel, fill your empty, clean spray bottle(s), add spray caps, & label them.